Thursday, February 26, 2009

Six-Four: 2009 Draft Results

Roster:
C - (empty)
1B - (empty)
2B Rickie Weeks (2B - MIL)
3B Chone Figgins (2B, 3B - LAA)
SS Jimmy Rollins (SS - PHI)
OF Lastings Milledge (OF - WAS)
OF Willy Tavarez (OF - CIN)
OF Carlos Gomez (OF - MIN)
Util Michael Bourn (OF - HOU)

SP Tim Lincecum (SP - SF)
SP Dan Haren (SP - ARI)
RP Joe Nathan (CL - MIN)
RP Francisco Rodriguez (CL - NYM)
P Jonathan Broxton (CL - LAD)
P Dan Wheeler (RP - TB)
P Grant Balfour (RP - TB)
BN Felix Hernandez (SP - SEA)
BN Ervin Santana (SP - LAA)
BN Carlos Zambrano (SP - CHC)
BN Matt Cain (SP - SF)
BN Brandon Morrow (SP, RP - SEA)
BN Jered Weaver (SP - LAA)
BN Chris Volstad (SP - FLA)

Round-by-round commentary:
Pre: I landed the 12th overall pick, so unless somebody else reaches I am set to grab both Johan and Timmay.
-----
1. Santana taken 7th overall. I'm hoping Rollins rolls down, or else I'll be massively reaching.... Rollins it is.
-----
2. Took Lincecum at the turn. Next picks need to be pitching, and I'll have to leave Ichiro on the board if he's there.
-----
Pitching is going off the board left and right. Reaches on CC, Hamels... I'm hoping for Webb, Nathan and Papelsmear to reach me.
-----
3. Dan Haren. He was the best pitcher available at this point, without an injury history.
-----
4. My favorite closer, and guy I grab every year was available- Joe Nathan. There was an abundance of speed available (Ichiro, Crawford), but I have to remember I can pick it up later for cheap.
-----
Starting to think pick 12 was actually a curse. Positioning is off. Should have prayed for a middle pick. Mothafuck!
-----
5. Don't call him Sean, call him CHONEEE!
-----
6. K-Rod. Eh, not exactly a closer with peripherals, but that'll do pig, that'll do...
-----
7. King Felix, time to continue towards that potential, son!
-----
8. Santana on the board! Yeah, Ervin....
-----
Jesus H Fucking Christ, you would think that everyone in this league is going for a pitching approach. On average pitchers have been taken a full round before their ranking should dictate. I hate you all. Die.
-----
9. Crazy Z, Carlos Zambrano. I'm hoping for circa- well, circa whenever it was he was putting it all together a few years back.
-----
10. Loading up on the extra closers, nabbed Jonathan Broxton.
------
11. I hope the Giants AAA offense can muster enough runs to improve that "other" SF ace, Matt Cain.
-----
12. I took Lastings Milledge. What the hell name is Lastings? Anyway, I digress... I was tempted to grab Willy Tavarez 60 slots over ranking, but didn't want to draw too much attention to my slow and steady stockpiling of steals. Good alliteration. Thank you!
-----
13. The one-tool fool was still around, Willy Tavarez.
-----
14. Brandon Morrow - could start, could close, could wind up as a setup man. So, I have a 2-outta-3 shot at something valuable.
-----
***On a totally unrelated note, some guy who goes by "Yuri Sucart" has had the most hilarious draft I've ever seen. In order of selection: Alex Rodriguez, Jose Valverde, Mark DeRosa (lol), Adam LaRoche, Coco Crisp, Oliver Perez, Chris Perez, Ian Snell, Christian Guzman, Nick Blackburn, Ivan Rodriguez, Russ Springer, Max Ramirez (who? 3rd string Texas catcher), Mark Worrell, Arias Joaquin, Ramon Ramirez, Aaron Boone, Wilson Betemit, Josh Geer, Emil Brown, and finished things off with Brad Snyder. I know players pretty well, and I had to look a handful of these guys up. Good luck, bro. "It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em".***
-----
15. I just grabbed Rickie Weeks, which means I can now bump Chone to 3B.
-----
16. Swing pick went with Jered Weaver. Was tempted to grab Randy Johnson, but then thought about the prospect of having THREE starters from the Giants- and shuddered.
-----
Just missed on both Joey Devine AND Brad Ziegler, soon it'll be time to dig up some sleeper closers.
-----
17. And the raping and pillaging of steals continues, as I come in with Carlos Gomez out of Minny.
-----
18. Chris Volstad.
-----
19. Michael Bourn. Need I say more?
-----
20. I grabbed an expendable player who may pick up some saves in Dan Wheeler. Percival is the man there, but last season 6 Rays players notched saves. Wheeler came in behind Percival with 13, but Grant Balfour may be the better option based on his great peripherals.
-----
Travis Hafner just went with the 3rd to last pick in the final (21st) round. Wow, how this guy has fallen.
-----
21. I convinced myself to grab Balfour after the last comment. I'll see who comes off strong as a the #2 option, and drop the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment